Hilmar Cheese Factory Field Trip

S7300257

Xander had a field trip to the Hilmar Cheese Factory March 26. Out here in the central valley, two things really stand out and are important to everyone that live out here, CORN and COWS, and all that go with them. Cheese, milk, ice cream, cow feed, the smell, lol, Its all essential  to how the valley survives and thrives.  On this particular trip we learned about the different types of cows, the most important in cheese making being the Jersey Cow, how and what cows need to produce milk to make all the yummy treats, FOOD to eat, WATER to drink, and a BABY. Yup, that’s right. Cows can not make milk unless they have a cute little baby cow. It was quite informational. You don’t really put it all together until someone points out all the pieces, then it becomes on of those “Oohhh” moments (like, duh!). Living here for six years, totally should have known that.

      S7300260   S7300265

After hearing all the wonderful information about cows and all the amazing things they do just so we can have our ice cream and milk, the kids got to make ICE CREAM (Above pics)!!! What kid doesn’t love that! they had a packet of cream and whatever else is needed to produce such a delicious thing in a plastic jar with ice and salt. They got to SHAKE it and SHAKE it some more and then ROLL it on the floor. Then they opened it and ate what all their hard work had just created, wonderfully delicious vanilla ice cream! They pretty much devoured it. I think I got a brain freeze just watching them gulp it up. They we took a quick trip down the stairs to watch a movie with Daisy the Cow. She was pretty hilarious.

      S7300258    S7300269

Finally after a long day of cows (left) and ice cream, it was time to load back up into our lovely yellow bus and head back to school. By the end of the day I was completely exhausted ( I did have  a group of all BOYS (right), 4 of them!)  and yet I still had a whole day ahead of me, Lance had to work that night. It was an amazing trip and I was so glad that I was able to take at least one trip with Xander while he was in kindergarten. Oh and how about one of those “The things that kids say” moments…

Me: “Hey Xander, Are you excited that I will be going on the field trip next week with you?
Xander: “I don’t want you to go with, Mom!”
Me: “Why not?”
Xander: “That’s my fun time without you!”
Me: *Sad look and mouth hanging wide open*

I just looked at Lance and had to laugh, I just couldn’t believe he had just said that! I thought they don’t say things like that until middle school or high school! Five minutes later he really wanted me to go and was super excited! Kids just say the craziest things sometimes! 
 
S7300271

Xander and his friend Becca on the way back to school.

Comments