Camping Trip 2017 - Day 1: Beaches and Campsites

We finally made it camping this year! Our last camping trip was more than two years ago. Each and every trip I learn something new. This year it was... don't lose your glasses! Yup, I did that. I've been walking around half blind for two weeks now! The new ones should be in later this week and I will be able to see again. Anyway, enough of my mishaps. Okay, wait, maybe one more. The first day of camping, we stopped off at Natural Bridges State Beach. It was all fun and adventurous, except for I forgot to sunscreen myself. I managed to get everyone else thankfully. I survived camping with a serious sunburn for the first 3 out of 4 days! Alright, now on to the fun stuff! 



We booked a 3-night 4-day camping trip at Big Basin Redwoods State Park. It was all very last minute but exactly what we need to kick off our summer. Our first stop on our way up was the beach. It was beautiful. We had never been to Natural Bridges and I'm so glad we stopped to enjoy the ocean a bit. We explore tide pools, chased waves, chilled in the sand and watched the kids burn off all their stored up energy from the two and a half our drive. 



We explored the tide pool and climbed rocks.We dug giant holes and created sand castles just to smash, the kids lugged buckets full of water back and forth, they dug for tiny sand crabs. I'm not sure it could have been any better. Eventually, we pried the kids from their sandy haven and fed them, watered them and loaded them back into our crammed vehicles and set on our way to the redwoods. 










We finally hit the road just after 3pm. It was still another good hour or so to get to the redwoods. It was mostly chaos. People drive like idiots over there! Some guy in a pickup truck thought it would be fun to see if a Tahoe could fly... off the edge of the road. I gave him a few birdies to continue his drive home with. By the time we had checked in and found our way to our campsite, we had a short time before darkness was setting in and the idea of setting up camp in the dark did not set well. We managed to get both cars mostly unloaded and all the tents up before nightfall. We are a pretty badass team. We even managed to feed the kids dinner!!! See, I'm telling you.. bad. ass. 


We survived the first day. We didn't lose anyone, only got lost less than a few times, and managed to keep everyone fed and happy. That is a total success in my book. On to day 2... tomorrow... 
 Good night. 🌙




Comments